Sunday, June 26, 2011

Why we love our vegetables

Debra is an avid golfer.  I am an avid vegetable gardener.  So much so that I designed custom-made raised beds.  I love to start from seeds, nurture them and then plant them in the spring.  Then I just watch them grow!   I have a tendency to overplant and as a result my garden becomes a jungle.  To be honest, I have difficulty finding all the vegetables hidden under the tangled growth of leaves and vines.  Last year as I was slashing through the garden with a machete I discovered a massive cucumber.  I mean HUGE.  Guinness Book of Records HUGE.

That weekend I attended a cookout that my friend, MB, was having to celebrate her Mom’s visit from Illinois.  Her Mom’s a wonderful lady, has been married forever, and is a bit naïve.  Well, as the party progressed and the wine flowed, I proceeded to tell my friends about the massive cucumber and without thinking blurted out that I wasn’t sure if I wanted to eat it or date it.  MB’s mom howled with LAFFter.

This year, I again had a marvel of a cucumber, however it was shaped incredibly strange.  Something like a giant dumbbell.   I had to let MB’s mom know about it. Fortunately, the timing was great.  MB had gone back to Illinois for a big family gathering:  aunts, uncles, siblings, nieces, nephews, the whole gang.  I picked that cucumber, went straight to Fed Ex, carefully wrapped it, and shipped it overnight from Atlanta to Illinois.  It was a huge hit at the gathering.  And MB’s Mom has the produce boy wondering why every time she passes the cucumbers she starts LAFFing.

LAFF, in spite of everything!
Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment