Sunday, June 12, 2011

LAFFing with the Logic of the DMV

Ok, friends, please help me understand this one.  I had a birthday in April and, in Georgia, there are certain things that you just have to do in your birthday month.  One is take your car for an emissions inspection to make sure your car is not polluting our already overcrowded roads.  It’s the law that your car passes the emissions inspection before you can renew your license tag.  Renewing my tag has become an important lesson to me, given that I have inadvertently received an expired tag ticket in the past that was more expensive than the car.  Okay, the truth is I wasn’t paying attention and I missed the deadline.  So, I’m trying to do better this year.

Anyway, I go to the emissions testing center and my car fails the test.   I take this quite personally in that my car is a very nice car with low mileage and I do my best to keep it well maintained.  The reason they cite for the failure…the computer settings indicate I haven’t driven enough to reset logic.  Huh?  What?  I haven’t driven enough?  Okay, fine.  So, I drive my nice car 502 miles on a business trip.  That should do it!  I bring the car back in and get it retested. IT FAILS AGAIN!!!!

Now what do I do?  The “You Failed Your Test” report indicates that I still haven’t driven enough under the right conditions to reset the computer.  I need to stop, start, go fast, go slow.
 
The bottom line?  I have to drive MORE and emit MORE pollutants in the air and pay for MORE gasoline to pass an emissions test!!! 

 Warning …if you see a crazed women with a LAFF bumper sticker driving fast, slow, stopping, and starting, it is only in an effort to be legal.


LAFF, in spite of everything!
Karen

1 comment: